Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
I am living life to the fullest; enjoying my family & friends while striving to make a small difference in the world through service.

Saturday, July 18, 2009

My Last Sunday in the Phillipines




This is the weekend of the handoff from Team 1 to Team 2. Four teammates headed out yesterday morning and the rest of Team 1 will leave Tuesday afternoon after the official dedication of the building. Remember it's a five hour drive back to Manila and about 4 hours at the airport since seats are not pre assigned- then a 13 hour flight to San Francisco where I will land at 8:00 pm.I pick up that day I lost when I left. I'll spend the night at a hotel in SF and then take Amtrak home again on Wednesday. Six team members from Team 2 arrived this afternoon. The rest of our group went on another excursion but I stayed behind to relax a bit and welcome the newcomers. It's great to feel their energy. Unfortunately one of them is missing luggage. She came from North Carolina so there were a few transfer opportunities for error.
What a trip. I don't recall ever seeing this much rain in my life. The sky just opens ups for hours at a time and days at a time. Everything here is soggy and muddy right now. My overall impression is that it is such a naturally beautiful place - but the lack of infrastructure and overall poverty presents so many challenges to the people. So much of the kidney disease here could be prevented if they could just have access to basic blood pressure medicine. You don't really see any obesity so it's a the high salt (and I do mean high salt) foods . plus the water quality is so poor it's just an infection waiting to happen - and then when it does it's antibiotics on a cash basis so you only get it if you have money. The safety net here is the public hospital that I expect to tour tomorrow but my understanding is that it's not much of a safety net. Imagine 2 patients per bed. They only have so many beds and do the best they can.
I'm so proud of the water system Bridge of Life has installed in the center. I'm going to attach a couple of photos. It may not mean much to you non dialysis folks but trust me when I tell you it's a beauty.
I've started refilling my duffel bag in preparation for my departure on Tuesday. Big lesson- I brought way too many clothes..way too many. The next couple of days will be very busy. Tomorrow Ginny Mello and I are traveling to another Village where they would like us to come for a mission. I hope the rain lets up for a bit. My poncho works fine but I worry a bit about the roads we will need to pass to get there. It's all an adventure.
On the health front I'm still pretty much existing on rice and soup. My system suffered a pretty big assault last week and is still a tad fragile. I am CRAVING a big ol wedge salad when I get home. Nice crisp iceberg lettuce with blue cheese dressing..ahhh a girl can dream!

1 comment: