Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
I am living life to the fullest; enjoying my family & friends while striving to make a small difference in the world through service.

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Big Finish!
















I called this entry Big Finish but in fact it will not be the finish as this mission is still going on. Team 2 arrived last weekend. Kristian Lau will be the Team Leader for the second half along with RNs Lee and Amabel as well as PCTs Manny and Connie, Dietitian Merriam and Biomed Anthony. I welcomed them to the hotel on Sunday and tried my best to give them useful information about the water, showers, paper products etc...(I think they thought I was kidding about some of it but by now they know I was merely passing on useful facts with a little good humor) I'm excited for them because I know they will accomplish a lot between now and their departure on July 31. I will also lead call routine calls with the team in the Philippines for the next few months to check progress and make sure they have every thing they need to keep operating safely and efficiently. This mission can only be called a true success when the clinic is operational long after we are gone.
My final day July 21 started with a whirlwind of activity(keeping in mind since it was my travel day home the time difference caused me to experience July 21 as a 39 hour day- no wonder I still have my days and nights mixed up!). We were up early ( several of us checked out of the hotel by 7 am). When we arrived at the center there was a huge crowd of dignitaries waiting for us- lead by the Governor, his wife, the Vice Governor and her husband plus all the Board member (equal to our California assemblymen or State Senators) Nurses from the hospital in white caps presented us all with corsages and the elaborate dedication and blessing of the building began. The stage and chairs were set up outside but it had stormed the night before so it was the mix of everything we had experienced since our arrival sweltering heat while walking through a bunch of mud. I have to give the hospital crew credit. They must have arrived at the crack of dawn to put things back together after the nights previous storm- including throwing down gravel to create paths to walk on. The ceremony was great with a a few exceptional highlights- One this award winning children's choir that were just about the cutest thing I've ever seen. Two- our trainee nurse plus four of our Bridge of Life Team dressed in costumes and performed a dance that is supposed to be the favorite of the governor- I can't recall the official name but it translates to the flirtation dance- the amazing part about that is that Noni and Evelyn recruited Kristian and Manny to join the dance troupe the night they arrived - so in 48 hours of their arrival Kristian -an industrial engineer and Manny a Patient Care Technician were on stage dancing before all the Province and they were awesome! Three - there were many speeches but Ginny Mello our Bridge of Life Executive Director was outstanding- she was able to sum up everything we were feeling and express gratitude to our nurses and techs who volunteered so much time and effort to the mission and Four- the Vice Governor read a resolution and presented us all with framed copies naming us each as Sons and Daughters of the Province of Pangasinan. Very Cool- I scanned it and it posted above but I doubt you can read it. It will hang in my office as a reminder of the experience.
After the official dedication- we were able to move inside to the air conditioned clinic for a more intimate gathering with the local team. We presented them with their graduation certificates and I placed Bridge of Life bracelets on their arms (I told them that makes us BFFs) Brent from Capa productions flew over to video everything . He interviewed me and looking back I'm not sure how it will come out- I was feeling so emotional - hopefully ! gave him a few coherent answers- the video clips he takes have a way of showing up at Davita meetings and Academy's for many years to come . The one thing I do remember saying and I think I will close this post with is that I feel like all the training I've had and work I've done in my life up to now as a clinician, an operating leader, working with teammates and even my most recent coach training prepared me to do this work with Bridge of Life. As part of this team I was able to use every skill I had and some I didn't know I had every day I was here.
I am exhausted and my digestive system is still in a state of flux but nothing that happened will prevent me from going back- hopefully to open our next center with the amazing Sister Niceta. She was one of my last meetings before my exit to the Manila airport. I felt such an immediate connection with her I know I will meet her again to find ways to help her and her team of 7 nuns continue their good work. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment