Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
I am living life to the fullest; enjoying my family & friends while striving to make a small difference in the world through service.

Saturday, July 11, 2009

Internet Woes Slow Down My Posts

I'm having quite a bit of trouble with my internet connection. I can't seem to download any photos right now. Keep your eyes open for our press realese with a picture of our team and our first patient. I know it was released in the United States yesterday. You may also want to try searching Bridge of Life on You Tube. We have Kelsey from the Casa here for a couple of days and she's been sending out a lot of stuff.
This morning we held the first of 2 community screening days. It was pretty overwhelming for the first couple of hours. People arrived early to wait to be checked. We had several stations. I manned the assessment station with Noni from Arizona and our trainees. We took blood pressures and did quick assessments and histories before sending them to the urine test station. I was blown away by the rampant hypertension. So many had crazy high blood pressures (like 200/110) . If they showed protein, blood or glucose in the urine they moved on for a finger stick. All with problems then went to the table of physicians and finished with a consult with Elaine our teams Dietitian. Overall my take away is this: Lot's of unaddressed health issues here. Our process was to place a star in the upper right hand corner of their intake form if we found something of special concern in either their BP or assessment. I estimate we placed stars on 80% of the forms.A few who came were patients who have already started dialysis but travel far and want to come here. They will return on Monday for treatment. It was hard work today but good stuff
I'll try to post some pictures in a separate post and see how it works

No comments:

Post a Comment