Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
I am living life to the fullest; enjoying my family & friends while striving to make a small difference in the world through service.

Thursday, July 9, 2009

A Frustrating Day

Had a small setback today. In the end we decided to delay our first treatment until tomorrow. A combination of things going on made it the right call. We are disappointed but will definitely begin our first treatment tomorrow. We actually met our first patient this afternoon. She is an employee of the hospital who started dialysis a couple of weeks ago. She’s been traveling a long distance to another town for treatment but since they require cash payment she could only pay enough for one time a week so she’s very weak. We will be able to provide treatment for her 3 times a week and should see a rapid improvement in her well being.
The rest of Team one arrived today, two more nurses and a dietitian. We continue to be served fish of various varieties (I’m not talking lobster ) I’m learning about all kinds of breeds I never knew existed. Today for breakfast we had Bangus fish. Emy tells me the common name is milk fish and they breed them out in the river. It looked kind of like a small trout and was pretty bony. Tonight they served us Bampano- It was kind of a big round thing shaped like Nemo and they served it with the head on which always freaks me out a bit. I also had ducks eggs this morning and quail eggs with tofu and spinach tonight- both considered a delicacy- the adventure continues and my digestive system is hanging in there.
We just learned that Dr Manuel the Chief of the Hospital arranged a day trip for us on Sunday. We are going by bus to a place called Baguio. Apparently it’s more tourist friendly. The local nurses oohed and ahhhh’d when they heard we were going. I suspect any souvenir buying I do will be done there.
For those of you late night television watchers I managed to do my required coaching call with the US today using the “Magic Jack”. (two of our team members brought them from home) You plug it into your computer and a basic phone and suddenly you direct dial any number in the US for free- no country code or anything. It’s pretty amazing- of course you need an internet connection and that can sometimes be a little squirrely here. The connection can be a little odd at times but I assume it depends on the internet connection. I can’t complain- technology marches on.
It’s still hot but we had several huge downpours in the middle of the day. The rain is unpredictable but either way it stays hot.
I recall I ended yesterday’s post telling you the Governor was here and he was. We spoke briefly and he thanked me for what we are doing. We have a formal meeting next week and he will attend the dedication of the center on the 21st. He was nice and surprisingly soft spoken.
Time for bed….tomorrow should be a big day

3 comments:

  1. I still cannot believe you have to eat that food! Did you pack any junk food just in case???

    ReplyDelete
  2. My suitcase was very well stocked with Special K cereal and bars, Crackers and powdered milk. It's an adventure and I embracing it so I havent eaten much of stash- though I've shared the crackers with some of my teammates who are feeling queasy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Each post gets better than the last. Cindy, you are doing great work. Love catching up, it is a good story. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete